Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Teachers Touch the World

Hi everyone!

As the first day of classes for this Spring 2012 semester begin, I cannot help but reflect on just how blessed that I truly am.  I cannot help but think of the words "those that can do, those who can't teach" and yet feel so sorry for those that have been misled into buying into this idea. 

True, those of us who have chosen to teach often do so, not because we cannot do, but because we want to have time to do things with our own children as well as have careers.  My kids will tell you, they would much rather us live on a budget and have me there when they get off the bus in the afternoon, than for me to work in the corporate world and never be home.  Those of us who teach are able to teach young men and women that they can in fact do what they love and make enough money to raise a family. 


My grandmother was a high school English teacher and guidance counselor.  While her salary was as humble as she, she still managed to put both my brother and myself through college.  


I do not just teach computer science, I often have students also come and ask me how to teach them to sew.  :D  What I try to always bring into my classrooms is a passion for life!  The words that I will repeat quite often this semester, "gone are the days that you have to get a degree and then just sit in a cubicle!  You can take what you love, coupled with your talents, ideas and dreams and turn these things into a rewarding and successful business because literally the sky is the limit!!"  

Two years ago I would have NEVER dreamed that computers and sewing machines would interact.  Two years ago I did not even know what a blog was.  Today not only do I have a job teaching that I LOVE, but I also have a thriving embroidery business and am now turning my love of blogging into consulting work as well.  So you see, my education in computer science has allowed me to take my love of art and sewing to a level that I would have never even imagined just a few short years ago.

So take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself "what do I want to be when I grow up???"  Yes, at 46 I am still asking myself that question!!  :D  What are your talents?  What do you love?


The most important thing is to write your ideas down.  Buy a notebook and ANY time an idea comes to mind jot it down.  You just NEVER know where you talents, hopes and dreams may lead!


While today it may be storming here in Louisiana, I want my students to believe that their truly is treasure at the end of the rainbow.  They can achieve anything that they set their mind too, but they first have to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves exactly what that might look like.

The world awaits you!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...