Friday, April 10, 2020

Trying to Be Still

Hi everyone,

Several months ago I bought this beautiful coffee cup. It set in my home office, still adorning its price tag, until yesterday. I was drawn to this cup, not because of the words that were on it, but because the words were engraved within the very clay that was used for its construction. 

This morning I decided to wash it and use it again, and in the process of this simple act, I was reminded of how we must continually cleanse our hearts and minds each morning so we can truly prepare to "be still". It isn't just the stillness, it is also that fact that we must "know", that HE is God. 
In this stressful time in which we are living, to "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10) becomes more than words that are etched within the crevices of my coffee cup. These are HIS words, etched within the depths of my soul. They are a reminder that no matter what happens in our lives - the good, the bad, and the ugly - HE is here to carry us if need be through it all. He is here to send us God winks and comfort. HE is here to bless us with incredible teachers and mentors, even in the midst of a pandemic. 

As I looked around at the different items in my little home that remind me to "be still", I note the different mediums that are used, from metal wall art, to a white trinket tray, to a heart. Gentle reminders that HE is with me each and every second of every day, in different forms and fashions. To see HIM, I must slow down, and at times be still.
I couldn't help but smile as I came across each of these different objects because I am not one to normally sit still or sit home. Life has shown me on numerous occasions what an incredible sense of humor HE has, so it is very easy for me, as I sip my morning coffee, to imagine HIM saying, "Be still...Just chill...I've got this"!!!


He wants us to not just sit still, but rest in knowing that HE truly has us in the palm of HIS hands. Sometimes we just have to wash off the anxiety and stress, like a new favorite coffee cup, and gently remind ourselves. I'm am trying to be still in the midst of our "new normal", and listen for HIS voice in the midst of it all. All of us have found this to be stressful at times. With the care that must be taken to protect my precious granddaughter, kids working on the front lines, and my own health concerns, this is particularly true. But. But. In the midst of it all, we are also discovering within the stillness several things. Comfort. Creativity. Peace. Pride. Understanding. And so many other beautiful lessons that will forever change us, but in a deeply moving way. 

Sending you a virtual hug on this Good Friday!!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...