Sunday, July 15, 2018

Dents & Dings

Hi everyone!

Well exciting things have happened in my world since I last wrote.  I am thrilled to write that another item may now be crossed off my bucket list.  For years I have said that I wanted to have a VW Beetle convertible so I could grab my camera and go on adventures and I now am the very proud owner of one.  I have named her Sara Jayne and the power of wind therapy at the end of a long day is beyond words.  But, but…this post is about so much more than my new to me, used car purchase. 

Yesterday I stopped by the car wash…yes, she is new & was detailed when I got her, but the rain lately had left some mud in her wheel wells and I couldn’t have that. J  As I carefully washed her I noticed a slight ding on her hood, which is the obvious reason for the touch-up paint in the glove box.  And since she is used I have had a few well-meaning friends voice concern over that fact that she is a VW.  But, but the beauty in all of this came to me in my quiet time this morning.  The words just kind of whispered to my soul.  If we look at the dents & dings in everyone we meet…if we look at how life has put miles on them and we worry that having them in our lives can cost more than we bargained for, then don’t we also risk missing out on more fun than we could have ever imagined.  Don’t we risk being able to sing and laugh and relax like we haven’t been able to do in years.  Don’t we risk missing out on God winks and God whispers.  Don’t we ALL use some form of touch up paint to try and hide the dents & dings that life has brought upon us.  Yes, touch up paint can keep a ding from turning into further damage, which is always a good thing, but ALL vehicles get them.  And I think that is what we must remember about our own selves.  We have to embrace the things that we have experienced in life, both the good and the not so good things, because they shape each of us into the BEAUTIFUL creations that God meant for us to be. 

Once we realize that…once it really sinks into our souls, it brings incredible peace and healing.  Yes, I bought a used vehicle with some miles on her.  Yes, she has a dent & ding here and there.  But, but WOW is she fun…she makes me smile until my cheeks hurt…she says, “Put that top down and let’s go girl!”  She has allowed me to leave the past in the rear view mirror, toss my camera in the front seat and head off to see what beauty God has in store for me next.

So I am sure you are saying, “Yeah Jen, but what if we can’t get a convertible?”  And that is not my point at all.  My point is, don’t be so hard on yourself or those you love.  Life goes by in the blink of an eye.  Embrace who you are, where you are, whether you are in a good or not so good place, because we learn from both.  Believe you me I know this from experience and if you are in doubt then let’s have coffee.  Don’t worry about the traffic when you go to work, enjoy the morning sky.  Don’t worry about the heat of the summer, buy a kiddie pool and get your feet wet.  If you don’t have a convertible you can still roll the windows down, put great music on and take a joy ride down the highway.  Don’t have a car, then bike, or walk.  My point is, no matter your circumstance you can always find a way to feel joy.  You can always find a way to use what you are going through to help others.  And you can always wear your dents & dings proudly like a new tattoo…and no I didn’t get a new tattoo, but I think you get my point.

Well there is a little daylight left and I hear the road calling my name.  Until next time…


Hugs, Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...